First of all, I would like to wish all my dear Chinese readers a very Happy and Prosperous Lunar New Year of Wooden Horse! May this coming new year bring good health, good luck and much happiness throughout the year.Gong Xi Fa Zai!! 新年快乐!! 恭喜发财!!
As usual for Chinese New Year, I will bake few type of Chinese New Year cookies for fun.One of the cookies I love to bake is Pineapple tart with various shape..Pineapple tart is not only taste delicious but it's also a symbol of good luck!!
2 stick/226 gm unsalted butter - room temperature
5 tbsp sugar
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (sieve)
2 tbsp corn flour
2 1/2 tbsp custard powder (I run out of custard powder so I replace with extra milk powder
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tsp essence vanilla
2 pineapple,removed skin ,center hard stem and brown eyes,cut small before blended in food processor or grated( mine in food processor is faster method )
2 cups sugar or more(depend on your taste bud)
a drop of pineapple essence *optional*
For the Filling:
1:Remove pineapple skin,the hard center stem and brown eyes before cut small.Then use food processor to blend until fine,about 1 min.
2:Pour the pineapple mixture into a medium stock pot with sugar at medium heat.Keep stirring until the mixture become dry and gooey,about 45 minutes to an hour.Cool completely before used.Can be prepared a week in advance,keep in fridge.
1.Combine butter and and sugar in a large mixing bowl,beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Beat well.
3. Sift salt, flour,custard powder,cornstarch and milk powder. Mix flour mixture into the butter until it form a smooth dough.
4. Remove and let the dough rest for half an hour.
5. Roll out the dough about 1/2 inch thick and cut into shape with a pineapple tart mould.If you want to shape porcupine,check it here: pineapple-shaped-tart.
Fill the center of tart with some pineapple jam. Repeat until the dough is finish.
6. Bake the tarts in a pre-heated 350 degree F until golden brown. This might take about 15 - 20 mines. Cool tarts on rack before storing it.